Article by PatrickD    (03-08-08 02:16 AM)
AnimeCons.com has just received word that Neo NohCon has been canceled due to weather. Annie Stoll, the president of the Daemen College Anime Club, has sent the following message:
Hello~~

I am regretfully writing to let you know that Daemen College has officially forced Neo NohCon on March 7-8, 2008 to cancel all events due to the atrocious weather conditions in Buffalo, NY at this time. It has been deemed that the blizzard conditions are too great a risk for all attendees.

All Attendees and Vendors who pre-registered will be refunded. Inquires can be made to neonohcon@gmail.com. Attendees who paid at the door were fully refunded. Those who still wish to donate to the Matthew Foster Foundation (as half our proceeds went to the Foundation) can contact them at MatthewFosterFoundation.com.

Neo NohCon will happen again in the future (possibly summer or fall) and in better atmospheric conditions. Keep posted on the website at NeoNohCon.com for all information.

The Daemen College Anime club extends their gratitude to everyone for their understanding. We are by no means finished for all time, we are merely delayed for a little while. Tons of time, effort, money, work, hopes and dreams went into this convention's third year-- these efforts will not be in vain.

Thank You,
Annie Stoll

Username Comments
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

03-08-08 12:47 PM - Post#2281    
    In response to PatrickD

This announcement came in pretty late. Since the convention only runs on the 7th and 8th, I'm surprised they waited until late on the 7th to send out the cancellation notice.

I wonder if guests couldn't get there or if some are stranded.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

03-08-08 01:24 PM - Post#2282    
    In response to PatrickD

Wow, Imagine if you traveled there. It has a Kat-snow-con feel to it.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

03-08-08 02:33 PM - Post#2283    
    In response to Crazy Flower

Except at least Katsucon happened and people were just stranded there for "Katsucon 9.1". (I had as much fun AFTER the con as I did DURING!) This, people couldn't even get there. ...or they did voyage through the snow only to discover that their Wally World was closed.
-PatrickD

Annie S. 

Reg: 03-09-08

03-09-08 02:03 PM - Post#2285    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
This announcement came in pretty late. Since the convention only runs on the 7th and 8th, I'm surprised they waited until late on the 7th to send out the cancellation notice.

I wonder if guests couldn't get there or if some are stranded.

Hiya~~ I'm Annie S. the DCAC President. The announcement came to our club from the school at around 5:00 pm-- when the con was only just getting started. The President of the school had to close all activities, especially the Canadian's scholar's program due to the increasingly bad weather conditions. We knew it might be snowy, but in Buffalo, its not usually that much of an issue. Daemen had assured us earlier in the week that we would proceed as planned, and that we would not need to cancel. I had a meeting with school officials, and it was our decision that for the safety of travel for not just the Western New Yorkers, but also the Southern Ontario & other out of state attendees, that the con be canceled and rescheduled for (a yet to be determined) better date. We didn't want people to be stranded at school, or to get in car accidents, as the roads were *seriously* bad-- and either way the campus itself was shut down and our hands were tied.

Once the school notified us, we began a massive campaign--- local radio, tv, and internet announcements to get the word out. We also made efforts to call *every* single person who registered for the convention to personally let them know the situation. (That took about 4 or 5 hours). We had to get our volunteers safe and home asap, which let club members to start clean up, and the notification process. Club members returned and braved the terrible conditions to stay all day Saturday in case anyone showed up-- however thankfully we can say that the word did get out and no one to our knowledge came. We're really glad everyone is safe, even if that meant our con had to be delayed.

As far as the guests go, they were all *so* amazing and real troopers. Words can't express our club's gratitude to them. On Saturday they all came out to hang out with club members and cheer them up, as our moral was rather low. Everyone in the DCAC was bummed, but our guests hung out, did impromptu panels and workshops, and in the end we all did have a good time. Antimere Robinson's flight was majorally delayed and he ended up having to turn back to TX, the rest of the flights arrived ad departed with no problem.

On a positive note, Daemen College will allow us to reschedule and start again. Logistically we have to wait till we can get school rooms available and the money back again to pay for guests. Daemen and the DCAC are going to begin talks on Monday. We are hoping to have Neo NohCon in either Late May or Early Fall.

Pre-Registered attendees will be fully refunded & we'll be sure to let everyone know when a date is set. I speak for the DCAC and Neo NohCon when I thank everyone for their understanding! We will be having another con! And we are really looking forward to that, not only for the fun con activities, but also because we want to raise money for the Matthew Foster Foundation! All the info will be up on the sire - neonohcon.com and neonohcon@gmail.com is the address to go to for any inquiries.

- Annie S.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

03-09-08 02:37 PM - Post#2286    
    In response to Annie S.

I'm glad to hear that nobody ended up traveling through that snowstorm to find out that the convention was canceled. That's great that the guests who were there already were so understanding. I hope you didn't lose a lot of money on things like preparations and guest expenses (like travel)...or hopefully the college will reimburse you.

When you reschedule it, hopefully it won't fall near Anime North or else you may find people less willing to attend two conventions so close in time and distance. ...but if it's a few weeks before, you may even be able to convince people to come to "test drive" their new costumes before Anime North. (As any cosplayer knows, a new costume always needs a few adjustments after its first con appearance.)
-PatrickD

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.219 seconds.   Total Queries: 34  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:16 AM