Username Post: Sex Offenders        (Topic#3289)
Fran F 
Fran F
Loc: Raleigh NC
Reg: 04-02-14

04-02-14 01:01 PM - Post#13709    

I have recently discovered that one of the vendors at a local con is a registered sex offender. Not sure what to do about it. I have notified the convention staff but have received no response. I guess I wonder if I am the only Mom that has an issue with this. I have already bought tickets and made plans to take my daughter. I will obviously keep an eye on her while there. There is a lot of underage kids that ARE unsupervised at this convention however.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

04-02-14 02:30 PM - Post#13710    
    In response to Fran F

• Fran F Said:
I have recently discovered that one of the vendors at a local con is a registered sex offender. Not sure what to do about it. I have notified the convention staff but have received no response. I guess I wonder if I am the only Mom that has an issue with this. I have already bought tickets and made plans to take my daughter. I will obviously keep an eye on her while there. There is a lot of underage kids that ARE unsupervised at this convention however.

I see you're in North Carolina. Here are the statutes for sex offenders in North Carolina:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Sta tutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapt er_14...

Page 12 is the start of what may be relevant to you. (Most stuff before that is just about registering and where they live.) § 14-208.17 indicates that the person cannot work in a place where that person would instruct or care for minors. Maybe § 14-208.18 is relevant.

I don't see anything that clearly states that the person would not be able to be at the convention, but would suggest that you contact the sheriff's department and ask. They would be able to tell you for sure if the person could be there and if the convention is supposed to do anything about it.

For any people in other states (or countries) reading this, check your local laws since those posted above for North Carolina would not apply anywhere else. Your region would have different laws.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Fran F 
Fran F
Loc: Raleigh NC
Reg: 04-02-14

04-02-14 03:50 PM - Post#13711    
    In response to PatrickD

Thank You! I really appreciate the help.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.079 seconds.   Total Queries: 32  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:00 PM