Article by PatrickD    (06-07-11 06:42 PM)
Voice actor Steve Blum (Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Final Fantasy VII, Naruto, X-Men, Transformers: Prime) was scheduled to attend Contagion: Outbreak in Omaha, Nebraska this weekend June 10-12, but the con cancelled his appearance this afternoon. Steve extends his profound apologies to all attendees. He wanted the fans to know this was not by his choice. Steve can be reached for comment through his website at steveblumvoices.com.

Steve will be appearing at the San Diego Comic-Con July 21-24 in San Diego, CA, Mechacon August 26-28 in New Orleans, Louisiana and in Auckland, New Zealand and Melbourne, Australia in October, 2011. For more info, links and updates, check in with Steve's event page at http://www.steveblumvoices.com/?page_id=45. The site is updated regularly as more events are scheduled.

Recent con appearances include Tekkoshocon, in Pittsburgh, PA, Florida Anime Experience in Orlando, FL and a live cast reading of an episode of Transformers: Prime at BotCon in Pasadena, CA.

Username Comments
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

06-07-11 06:43 PM - Post#9048    
    In response to PatrickD

Steve sent this in HIMSELF.

...so I get the impression that he's kinda pissed.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

06-07-11 08:20 PM - Post#9049    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
Steve sent this in HIMSELF.

...so I get the impression that he's kinda pissed.

I was wondering about that. I saw the headline and thought "A convention canceling a guest? That's bizarre."

Shot in the dark guess, if they're canceling a guest there's most likely some deeper troubles behind the scenes. Guests are one of the chief ways to get more attendees, which in turn brings in more revenue for the event. If they're canceling someone as well known as Steve, something's definitely wrong.
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

06-07-11 10:24 PM - Post#9050    
    In response to Nigoki

Follow the money, I'd say.

Most likely, they're either hemorrhaging cash, overestimated the attendee base, or something more nefarious going on.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

06-07-11 10:55 PM - Post#9051    
    In response to Crazy Flower

They just announced some other guests, so my guess is that they realized they invited too many and they realized they would have to cancel one and Steve seemed like the easiest option.

I doubt the con will actually say what was up though. Cons usually don't air their dirty laundry like that.

This isn't the first time a con has cancelled a guest, of course.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

06-08-11 01:01 AM - Post#9052    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:

I doubt the con will actually say what was up though. Cons usually don't air their dirty laundry like that.

This isn't the first time a con has cancelled a guest, of course.

Of course, but it's still poor form, especially when the event is this close.
-Doug Wilder

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

06-08-11 01:32 AM - Post#9053    
    In response to Crazy Flower

• Crazy Flower Said:

With knowledge of his app fee, I'd partially agree with this.

(There's nothing wrong with that either, if a guest wants to charge a certain amount. I know it has already been debated heavily in-depth if cons should pay them or not).

Edited by Proz on 06-08-11 01:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

06-08-11 02:08 AM - Post#9054    
    In response to Proz

• Proz Said:
  • Crazy Flower Said:

With knowledge of his app fee, I'd partially agree with this.

Oh, there's no question he has a fee attached. However, the con must have known this before finalizing his appearance and announcing him on the web site. If a convention agrees to pay it for a guest, canceling is still in very poor form. ...perhaps even moreso since the guest had anticipated being paid and may have turned down other appearances in the meantime.

Really, the only times I can understand a convention being justified in cancelling a guest is if the convention itself is cancelled or if the guest changes their compensation requirements.
-PatrickD

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki

06-08-11 09:37 AM - Post#9056    
    In response to PatrickD

I wonder if there's some sort of agreement if the con cancels this close, like they still need to pay a percentage of the fee.
-Doug Wilder

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

06-08-11 09:40 AM - Post#9057    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
I wonder if there's some sort of agreement if the con cancels this close, like they still need to pay a percentage of the fee.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Blum's booking requirements, but know that some big name sci-fi guests will ask for that in a contract. Can't say I blame them, really. Imagine you're the lead in some big sci-fi series and some big sci-fi con has promised to pay you $xx,000 and backs out at the last second. That'd suck.
-PatrickD

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

06-08-11 12:46 PM - Post#9059    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:

This would be based on the contract set up with the convention. From personal experience, in all the anime con related guests I've dealt with that charge an app fee, I've never had a request for a cancellation fee clause inserted in the contract. I would usually balk on negotiations if an anime con guest requested for it to be inserted as I'm usually more concerned on the guest cancelling on us (which has happened to us multiple times, announced & unannounced) than the other way around.

Edited by Proz on 06-08-11 12:47 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gabriel 

Reg: 06-10-11

06-10-11 01:23 PM - Post#9074    
    In response to PatrickD

That sucks for Steve. He was a great guest at Florida Anime Experience last month. I enjoyed meeting him there and all that he did!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.203 seconds.   Total Queries: 46  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:39 AM