Article by PatrickD    (02-16-11 07:31 PM)
LOS ANGELES, Calif. (February 16, 2011) - Have a sense of showmanship? A great personality? And an impressive crafting and performance creating ability? Come and participate or watch the best of the best as one pair will succeed in the US preliminaries, at this summer's most anticipated FREE convention AM2, to move on and compete on the world stage in Japan on television! More info, rules and attendee registration can be found at www.am2con.org or via the World Cosplay Summit official Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/World-Cosplay-S ummit-Preliminaries-Unite d-States/122191194459337

Begun in 2003, the World Cosplay Summit was created, by TV Aichi and attracts over 15,000 fans to the finals in Japan, to promote international exchange through the Japanese youth culture of manga and anime. The championship is graded on the finish of the costume design and the teams performance on stage. Involving 15 different countries, previous year's Grand Champions were teams from Italy (2005, 2010), Brazil (2006, 2008), France (2007) and Japan (2009).

AM2 representative Chase Wang states, "It's all about pride and bragging rights as cosplayers will revel in the competition against the best of the best. We are honored to host the World Cosplay Summit at AM2. The U.S. has yet to win, let's do it this year! Join us and have the time of your life this Summer!"

Follow us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/AM2Rep

Follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/AM2rep

Follow the WCS US on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/WCSPrelimsUS

About AM2
Located in Anaheim, California - AM2, established in 2010, is a multi-day (3 days) 24 hour event with no general attendance/badge purchase requirement and is aspiring to be a key meeting place for fans that share a common interest in Asian music, Animation/Anime, and Comics/Manga. Nominal fees are charged for certain activities that attendees choose to participate in. AM2 will be held on July 1-3, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center in sunny Anaheim, California. More information can be found at www.am2con.org

Username Comments
EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

02-16-11 09:44 PM - Post#8346    
    In response to PatrickD

So the same weekend in Los Angeles, one masquerade has $10k has a prize for Best in Show. The other is getting into the WCS.

This is going to get interesting...
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

02-17-11 02:26 AM - Post#8347    
    In response to EllyStar

I guess you'll see who's in it for the prizes and who's in it for the glory. The line has been drawn in the sand.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

02-17-11 10:36 AM - Post#8351    
    In response to PatrickD

I want imagine something like the newscaster fight in Anchorman.
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

02-17-11 01:15 PM - Post#8355    
    In response to PatrickD

Catgirl fights might ensue with actual catgirls.
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

The History Follower 
Con Addict
The History Follower
Loc: WV
Reg: 01-02-07

02-17-11 02:52 PM - Post#8356    
    In response to EllyStar

• stardust462 Said:
So the same weekend in Los Angeles, one masquerade has $10k has a prize for Best in Show. The other is getting into the WCS.

Anyone think this might be related? Like one con hears the other is getting the WCS regionals, so decides to offer a big cash prize to help prevent loss of all the top cosplayers to their con.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-17-11 04:06 PM - Post#8357    
    In response to The History Follower

• The History Follower Said:
Anyone think this might be related? Like one con hears the other is getting the WCS regionals, so decides to offer a big cash prize to help prevent loss of all the top cosplayers to their con.

I don't know which started planning theirs first and it certainly might be an amazing coincidence, but these cons clearly seem to be in competition with each other. (Although AM2 probably sees AX as competition more than AX views AM2 as competition. A strong turnout at AM2 and lower AX attendance might change that.)
-PatrickD

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

02-17-11 04:39 PM - Post#8359    
    In response to PatrickD

• PatrickD Said:
I don't know which started planning theirs first and it certainly might be an amazing coincidence, but these cons clearly seem to be in competition with each other. (Although AM2 probably sees AX as competition more than AX views AM2 as competition. A strong turnout at AM2 and lower AX attendance might change that.)

I think it would be very difficult to chose between the two. One is "free" and in a location that people really like, the other is more established in a place that people don't like. But you just pay for one badge to get into AX, the other doesn't really detail exactly what will cost money and exactly how much.

If I had an masquerade entry where I felt I had a good shot of winning either of them I think it would be a tough decision. Here's the deciding factor though - if you qualify for WCS, do you have to pay taxes on the trip you receive? Obviously you have to pay taxes on the money you win at AX, and that's easier to do if the prize is money, but if the prize is a trip you have to pay taxes on, then I would compete at AX. Then use the money to pay my own way to Japan, lol.
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

Familydude 
Attendee

Reg: 10-04-10

02-21-11 12:52 AM - Post#8379    
    In response to EllyStar

Honestly I doubt AM2 would see Ax as competition if they would have the same date as Anime expo which has been around for 20 yrs now.

If anything they have to be very confident or else it would just be a bad move. If anything I think WCS would be tax free because they are paying for your trip to Japan and its not fully a prize, so you do not need to file that because you get nothing for it, technically.

With AX giving away money will just be amusing to watch because most cosplay and AMVs are copyright infringement and so it will be interesting how it will all go down, but if everything is cleared with every anime company its still some nice prizes.

meauho 
Con Addict
meauho
Loc: Houston(ish), Tx
Reg: 04-24-08

02-21-11 03:45 AM - Post#8382    
    In response to Familydude

According to IRS rules, you do have to pay taxes on the trip -- just like you have to pay capital gains taxes on winning a car.
Joshua Andrade

Bad Wolf Trading

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD

02-21-11 01:42 PM - Post#8383    
    In response to Familydude

• Familydude Said:
Honestly I doubt AM2 would see Ax as competition if they would have the same date as Anime expo which has been around for 20 yrs now.

If anything they have to be very confident or else it would just be a bad move.

They seem to be very confident. (You'd have to be to book the Anaheim Convention Center for your free-admission event!) It may also be a bad move to put their convention on AX weekend, but they appear to be banking on the fact that people hate AX's downtown LA location and AM2 is in AX's old Anaheim location that people loved. We won't know how it plays out until July.

I definitely think AM2 is trying to hurt AX. If AM2 was only trying to build up its own event, they would not have put it on AX weekend so that people could go to both. ...and anyone in California that plans an anime con knows that AX is always on July 4th weekend, so this was definitely no mistake. As you know (since you've only posted in threads about this con), AM2 was under the name "Club 2 the MAX" and located across the street from AX last year, so there's no possible way they don't know about AX. (I suspect that "MAX" in the name was even a reference to "AX".) I don't think it could be any more clear that they're trying to siphon off attendees.
-PatrickD

Proz 
Con Addict
Proz
Loc: Texas
Reg: 08-08-07

02-21-11 02:38 PM - Post#8384    
    In response to PatrickD

Future Podcast topic:

Revenge-Cons: The History & Affects Upon One Another
San Japan - San Antonio, Texas - Convention Chairman

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

03-26-11 01:17 AM - Post#8591    
    In response to PatrickD

I was thinking about this and seeing current events (sorry for the threadomancy) I wonder if the earthquake in Japan is going to affect people's decision, or if they will have the Summit at all.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.134 seconds.   Total Queries: 48  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:56 PM