Article by PatrickD    (12-18-15 06:30 PM)
The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation (SPJA), organizers of Anime Expo and Anime Conji, have announced that Anime Conji 2016 has been canceled.

The notice, posted on their web site on Friday, December 18th, reads as follows:
  • SPJA Said:
We at the Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation regret to inform our attendees that Anime Conji 2016, scheduled for March 25th - 27th at the Sheraton Hotel & Marina has been canceled.

We have collectively decided to focus on expanding and improving each of our events, bringing a level of quality seen in our larger shows to our smaller events. Unfortunately to meet this goal, Anime Conji will have to take a small break. We would like to take this opportunity to express our deepest apologies and heartfelt thanks for your understanding and continued support.

Ticket sales have been pulled and refunds will be issued swiftly.

Anime Conji's web site content has been pulled and replaced with a FAQ.

Username Comments
Nigoki 
Obsessed with robots
Nigoki
Reg: 02-25-09

12-23-15 01:55 PM - Post#14716    
    In response to PatrickD

SPJA having money issues and a spinoff con isn't working out? What else is new?

Looking at the FAQ, I'm a little curious about how the anime club summit would've turned out. I helped create and run when I was in college. We did a lot of fundraising every year to get people to Anime Boston so it'd be interesting to see how things have changed with cons growing, digital distribution making screening nights less necessary, and other things.
-Doug Wilder
Resident Mecha fanboy of AnimeCons TV!

Scaramanga 

Loc: San Diego, CA
Reg: 01-07-16

01-07-16 06:39 PM - Post#14762    
    In response to Nigoki

• Nigoki Said:
SPJA having money issues and a spinoff con isn't working out? What else is new?

Is the SPJA still having money issues? My understanding is that hasn't been the case since 2011. Turnstile attendance at AX was up over 40k over 2014. And double the unique number from when they had problems in 2010 (90k compared to 45k).

Also, I'd point out that Conji isn't strictly a spin-off con. It was an independent con that was taken over by the SPJA in 2013.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.167 seconds.   Total Queries: 31  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:22 AM