Username Post: What's the largest number of people you'd want in a hotel room?        (Topic#331)
PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

06-05-07 09:22 AM - Post#1095    

It's a convention tradition for some people to try and cram as many people as possible into a hotel room. Yet others prefer to pay a little extra and actually have a comfortable place to sleep. What is the largest number of people you would ever consider having in a standard size hotel room (including yourself)?

What's the most number of people you'd want in a hotel room?
None, I don't like staying at hotels
Just me
Me and one other person
Three of us
14 or more (please comment)
You may choose one option.
Votes accepted from 06-05-07 09:21 AM to 07-31-08 10:59 PM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

Edited by stardust462 on 07-24-09 01:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LadyHawke78 
AnimeCons Staff
LadyHawke78
Loc: PA
Reg: 12-20-06

06-05-07 10:08 AM - Post#1096    
    In response to PatrickD

I have dealt with as many as nine.
Not good news...

My limit is 5. You can always toss *someone* on the floor, but I prefer a bed.
Less than 5 is preferable if everyone you are rooming with happens to be a cosplayer. (remember AWA12, PatrickD?)
Cosplayers have a tendency to hog the bathroom and haul a ton of crap to conventions (*points to self here*)

IF you happen to spring for a Presidential suite with multiple rooms or something similar, then you can fit 10-12 comfortably. We had a 3-room suite at Otakon 2004 and I think we fit 12 or so people in that without a problem.

Crazy Flower 
Token Black Chick
Crazy Flower
Loc: Beantown in the Pan
Reg: 06-02-07

06-05-07 10:42 AM - Post#1097    
    In response to PatrickD

The first time I went to a con, there was 9-10 people in the room.

Never Again!

I try to put a room limit on 4 whenever I reserve a room. There may be 5 occasionally, but I really try to keep it to a safe minimum.

And yes, cosplayers do take up a *lot* of space.

Spike Spiegel 
Attendee

Reg: 01-10-07

06-05-07 02:44 PM - Post#1098    
    In response to Crazy Flower

About 3 or 4, maybe 2 girls and one guy or three girls.

PatrickD 
Executive Producer
PatrickD
Loc: California
Reg: 12-07-06

06-05-07 02:45 PM - Post#1099    
    In response to Spike Spiegel

• Spike Spiegel Said:
About 3 or 4, maybe 2 girls and one guy or three girls.

It doesn't count unless you actually vote in the poll.
-PatrickD
AnimeCons.com Executive Producer
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
Host of The Chibi Project & Anime Unscripted™

zcat68 
Con Regular
zcat68
Loc: Tiverton, RI
Reg: 01-18-07

06-05-07 05:18 PM - Post#1101    
    In response to PatrickD

I've always been a fan of both A) quiet and B) sleep, so I'd prefer to have a room with just me and someone else, although I could if neccessary room with up to four people. Mostly cause people are afraid to share a bed with me so I always get one to myself anyways

QueenDuranie 
Attendee
QueenDuranie
Loc: Worcester, MA
Reg: 05-09-07

06-05-07 06:37 PM - Post#1102    
    In response to zcat68

I'll have as many in a room to make it affordable. But I think 4 is more than enough for a room with double beds. Although later this month I'm in a situation of 6 people in a room for a private Duran Duran show in NYC. This should be very interesting with all of us trying to get ready at the same time with only one bathroom.
Pam "Izumi" Larson
Green Room Manager, Anime Boston 2012 & Connecticon 2011 & Anime Track Manager, Arisia 2012

rednecko 
Con Regular

Loc: Rednecksville, USA
Reg: 01-02-07

06-06-07 07:23 AM - Post#1110    
    In response to QueenDuranie

Four people is the most I have ever put in a room. I usually end up with two or three people in a room since I don't push the room share too hard.

T-MODE Events 
Attendee

Loc: Maryland
Reg: 03-10-07

06-11-07 02:04 PM - Post#1135    
    In response to PatrickD

The most I've ever had to have in a standard room is 6. However it really depends on the size of the room. I usually get rooms with two double beds and request at least two cots. With two on the floor in sleeping bags, two in beds and two on cots, everyone has a space they can call their own and no one complains.
T-MODE Chairman
www.tmode.org
www.tmodeonline.com
September 5-7, 2008
Arlington, VA

T-MODE Events 
Attendee

Loc: Maryland
Reg: 03-10-07

06-11-07 02:07 PM - Post#1136    
    In response to Spike Spiegel

Do you ever run into problems with coed room sharing?
T-MODE Chairman
www.tmode.org
www.tmodeonline.com
September 5-7, 2008
Arlington, VA

Confucius 
Attendee

Reg: 06-04-07

06-13-07 02:57 PM - Post#1148    
    In response to LadyHawke78

• LadyHawke78 Said:
I have dealt with as many as nine.

What a coincidence, same here. Actually it was suppose to be 8 but when I woke up the next day there was 1 extra person in my hotel room I don't remember being there last night! *eye rolls*

However I've calmed down quite a bit now compared to my early convention years. I prefer 4 now...the "legal" limit. Luckily in all my years of fandom I have never had any bad roommates. Amazing huh?

R Dorothy 
Attendee
R Dorothy
Loc: Brockton, MA
Reg: 05-07-07

06-18-07 01:19 PM - Post#1171    
    In response to PatrickD

I'm old (only in number and compared to most con-goers, definitely not in attitude ) but when it's time for bed, I want to be able to sleep undisturbed. It's the reason (sadly ) that I gave up LARPing. I couldn't stand being awakened at 3:00AM by a battle raging outside my cabin. So although my hubby and I went to AB07 with a sister and a neice, we had 2 rooms... And I don't do all night raves. They play the music way too loud for me (and I like listening to it with the volume at 11 ) and they don't usually play the stuff I like. Of course, that doesn't mean I think they should be stopped, if the younger set wants to rave all night and it doesn't disturb me, It's all good. But I have seen kids cramming hotel rooms to overflowing, which is fine if they're respectful.

Anime is art... art is life... life is...Anime???

QueenDuranie 
Attendee
QueenDuranie
Loc: Worcester, MA
Reg: 05-09-07

06-20-07 02:45 PM - Post#1178    
    In response to R Dorothy

OMG...Just got back from my NYC Duranie Weekend. We had nine in our room which was a lot smaller than expected. We actually ran out of space and had people sleeping under the foldout couch. I ended on the floor at the foot of the bed sleeping on the cushions I took from the couch. And don't even get me started on the whole pre-concert bathroom scene. UGH! Never again.
It was pure insanity and even though it did bring down the price of the room to an amazing $75 for the weekend which was the only good point, I would never do that again.

Pam "Izumi" Larson
Green Room Manager, Anime Boston 2012 & Connecticon 2011 & Anime Track Manager, Arisia 2012

Master of NERV 
Master of NERV
Loc: Somewhere in MA
Reg: 04-30-07

06-26-07 12:04 PM - Post#1195    
    In response to PatrickD

At Anime Boston, it's usually just the wife and I. However, two family members came with us this past event, and shared a room of their own. I figure if push came to shove, we could get two beds or arrange for rollaways. Beyond that, and the bathroom scene would be most unpleasant.

bravejaf 
Attendee
bravejaf
Loc: Cleveland, OH (for now)
Reg: 01-26-07

07-02-07 05:28 AM - Post#1227    
    In response to Master of NERV

I think the most I have done is 6 or 7 but lately prefer no more than 4 per room. Sure the extra savings on cost is nice but I prefer to be comfortable sleeping after a hard day of con hopping. Lately I have been getting suites to get added space. Now that I am older and have a real job, I would much rather be comfortable and spend the extra money.
KnB Anime: http://hakkai.net/knb/index.php

A great anime community openly looking to add new members. Check us out at our new location.

bladen 
bladen
Loc: st pete florida
Reg: 08-20-07

08-20-07 09:09 AM - Post#1391    
    In response to PatrickD

im part of the small percent that doesn't give a woot woot about how many people cram into a 1 person bed room, let 50 in a room if we can. I'm a con newbie and I just love anime and the whole darn exspirnence.
"she'll bend over backwards to please you"

WHERE CAN I MEET HER!?

EllyStar 
New England Con Whore
EllyStar
Loc: Massachusetts
Reg: 06-24-07

08-21-07 02:50 PM - Post#1395    
    In response to PatrickD

Five is the limit for me, though I prefer to stick with four or less. The problem for me with more people with that is space and sharing the bathroom. Plus the hotel isn't going to give you more than 4 keys, which means you need to plan things so that no one will ended up locked out of the room when they need to get in.

I went a sorority convention last month and there were 10 of us in two connecting rooms, each with two double beds. The connecting rooms helped a lot with the bathroom situation, that's for sure, but it was still tight with ten girls and ten suitcases (at least).
Elizabeth: Website and Podcast Writer
My Conventions

Winterlaurel 
Winterlaurel
Loc: Alaska
Reg: 10-03-07

10-04-07 02:31 AM - Post#1490    
    In response to EllyStar

• stardust462 Said:
Five is the limit for me, though I prefer to stick with four or less. The problem for me with more people with that is space and sharing the bathroom. Plus the hotel isn't going to give you more than 4 keys, which means you need to plan things so that no one will ended up locked out of the room when they need to get in.

My sentiments exactly. Plus it's hard enough to get to sleep with four or five people giggling half the night... honestly, it's like being back Jr. High or something. But it's loads of fun.
Aurora-Con

Aurora-Con 2008 Cosplay Coordinator and Merchandising Coordinator
Aurora-Corp Cosplay Director

SyFyCon 
Con Regular

Reg: 12-27-06

10-12-07 04:56 PM - Post#1519    
    In response to PatrickD

21 at Otakon 2000. We got a suite at the Sheraton, tipped the maid not to narc on us, and used the beds, the sleeper sofas, and tons of sleeping bags. With the 2 extra bedrooms which were included in it, it wasn't even that crowded. Less than $50 per person for the weekend.

Edited by Anime South on 10-12-07 04:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Blaxel 
Attendee
Blaxel
Loc: Richmond, Va
Reg: 09-21-07

10-30-07 11:28 AM - Post#1579    
    In response to PatrickD

Honestly i would'nt want more than 3 people in the room i mean if i needed to split the room for the hotel cost I'd have at least 4 but thats it, And i would want it to be my friends not random con goersXD unless i hung out with the random con goers.
Looking for cosplay photos? go to my gallery:D
https://picasaweb.google.com/116003591765305040870

bekka_alice 
Attendee

Reg: 12-21-06

01-02-08 06:14 PM - Post#1935    
    In response to Blaxel

Meandering through too late to vote. ^_^

My vote, ugh on more than four people in a room. You can do it for a year or two while you're a teen and need to save costs but it is really often frustrating.

Aside from bathroom sharing time issues, there are a lot of other reasons not to have more people in a room.

Key sharing is extremely frustrating when you don't have as many keys as people. You can end up locked out of your own room often.

There is no place for stuff when people are spread all over - and having any different time constraints than your roommates may mean that when you get up for that early panel or stay up for that late one, you're trying to cross a sea of bodies without crushing anyone or hurting yourself.

If you're a person who likes to sleep, it's tough when there are a lot of people in the room because inevitably someone wants to talk or watch videos or email. And someone *always* snores. There are never enough pillows or blankets.

A room full of wet people hair after morning showers smells funny.

If the group is made of too many friends-of-friends you never know who you can trust with your stuff in the room, and never have a way to address it with one person you suspect if there are a ton of people there.

The larger the group the more likely there will be someone who thinks PDA is appropriate (hey, we got a room!).

Overall erg on any more than four, and I prefer two.

Krazykloud9 
Attendee
Krazykloud9
Loc: NYC
Reg: 12-13-07

01-04-08 11:13 AM - Post#1954    
    In response to PatrickD

It's funny that this poll came up. I just finished working on the hotel arrangements last week for Anime Boston. I had originally reserved a room for 2. Other people's plans changed, now I'm going to have 4(maybe 5) in a room for 2. 3 of us are cosplaying, and 2 of the 3 are bringing multiple costumes. It's going to be an interesting weekend!!

sasorixdeidara 
Con Regular
sasorixdeidara
Reg: 11-04-07

01-04-08 03:14 PM - Post#1957    
    In response to Krazykloud9

Strange how this topic poll came about. My friends and I were just arguing about this a few weeks ago (for AMA) but since it had moved, we no longer have to worry about the problem.

Wilwarin 
Attendee
Wilwarin
Loc: Nebraska, USA
Reg: 02-27-08

02-27-08 11:31 PM - Post#2202    
    In response to PatrickD

My first out-of-state con, we had 11 people in the room...

There were, IIRC, 3 to a bed, two on the couch, my bf and I slept on the floor, and one guy slept in the tub. Oh, good times. Never again, though. Five is plenty and any more is pushing it.
Anime Nebraskon staff
http://www.animenebraskon.com/

Daniel DAmours 
Attendee

Loc: Thunder Bay
Reg: 04-11-08

04-11-08 12:34 PM - Post#2437    
    In response to PatrickD

I think 6 is the max i would try to fit into a standard 2 bed room. we had 5 last year and it was already pretty tight in there.
Lakehead Anime Society Director, & Chairman of Kita-Kon
kita-kon.org

Mailechan 
Attendee

Loc: Washington, DC
Reg: 03-21-08

04-11-08 02:39 PM - Post#2438    
    In response to PatrickD

I would go with four. Five if none of you cosplay. Especially for women. Most of my lady-friends tend to take a long time to dress, put on make up, blow-dry hair, etc. So bathroom time is a very precious thing. Too many people, and there is a huge crush and fight for bathroom time before and after con hours.

I remember one time when I was young and didn't make enough to have a small population in the room, we drew cards. High card got first crack at the bathroom.
Mailechan
Staff Support - Otakon
Guest Relations (pre-con planning) - Otakon
Art Show - Katsucon
Art Show - AnimeUSA
National Cherry Blossom Festival Liaison - Otakorp, Inc.
Director of set-up and on-site hotel liaison - Darkover Grand Council

meauho 
Con Addict
meauho
Loc: Houston(ish), Tx
Reg: 04-24-08

04-24-08 05:11 PM - Post#2489    
    In response to Mailechan

I prefer to keep it to 2.
That having been said...

Honestly though, for me, it depends on the room and not just a generic number.

A prime example is the room I have reserved for AnimeFest Labor day weekend.

Suite: couch folds out into a bed
1 bedroom with a King bed
1 bedroom with 2 double beds.

I have no problem sticking 6 or more people in this room.

It depends on the con, and what role I am taking (am I on staff?, running a table for another con/artist/dealer?), but I typically take people with me to help out. I like to get suites because I can set up my own pseudo-Operations/ Hospitality suite for the people who are working for me.
Joshua Andrade

Bad Wolf Trading

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Recent Topics
AnimeCons.com

AnimeCons.com Home | Conventions | Guests | Members | AnimeCons TV | Articles | Reports

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.667 seconds.   Total Queries: 82  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:47 PM