Username Post: Cartoon Cosplay, Anime Con: Is This Acceptable?
Shiva 
Cosplay Addict
Shiva
Loc: New England
Reg: 04-01-09
09-03-13 10:14 PM - Post#12740    
    In response to Kumiko_N

We see non-anime cosplay at anime cons all the time! Some of the biggest cosplay "trends" right now - My Little Pony, Homestuck, and Adventure Time - are all Western in origin and are cosplayed at anime cons in droves. You'll also see cosplay of live acton series, including Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc., and some costumes are completely random - there hasn't been an anime con i've been to yet that didn't have SOMEONE cosplay Jesus. If you're having a good time and love your costume, most people don't care - and why should they?

There are a handful of people who believe that only anime characters should be cosplayed at an anime con, but that idea has diminished a LOT in the last ten years I've been cosplaying, as conventions themselves have moved away from strictly "anime" and more towards "pop culture." Heck, we cosplay non anime characters all the time too, and we've never felt that anyone was offended by it.

There might be rules against wearing non-anime costumes if you choose to participate in contests or performances at the con, but just for walking around it shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I think wearing a costume appropriate to a guest, anime or not, is a nice touch.
Facebook Page *~ Cosplay Website *~ Music Videos ~*

Edited by Shiva on 09-03-13 10:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.107 seconds.   Total Queries: 17  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:27 AM