Username Post: Western Cosplay at Anime Conventions
vrmlbasic 
Con Regular

Reg: 02-23-12
02-23-12 04:53 PM - Post#10348    
    In response to some guy

I'm on the same boat with you guys on this. Seeing Stormtroopers at Ota and Katsu has irked me since I first saw it years ago. I realize that these cons have "covered their bases" by having generic names, but that seems like a cop-out to me. Ota repeatedly says that even though it's no longer about just anime and encompasses all of "Japanese culture", there is no Darth Vader or Homestuck in that.

I'm opposed to non-anime programming taking hold on principle--even the 2007 4chan panel @ Ota was sketchy IMO--but as long as it is remotely applicable I'm cool with it. Sake panels and weapon demonstration panels are cool in my book. MLP panels are not. Not only because I find MLP to be at odds with my Y-chromosome (the Katsucon "but Lauren Faust is a MD native!" doesn't do anything for me lol) but because they have nothing to do with what the cons generally say that they are about.

I hate to say it, but a panel on the awful, Toonami-childhood-ruining Thundercats anime would be more in line with my principles for what should be at a con than would a MLP panel/Star Trek panel/Homestuck panel, etc...

It literally pained me to type that.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic

FusionBB™ Version 2.2 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.086 seconds.   Total Queries: 17  
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:27 AM